2012年3月14日星期三

Tom Lewis will play this week's Transitions Championship

Even though he has yet to secure another top-20 finish since that European victory, Lewis is content to just soak up the atmosphere at the Innisbrook Resort and learn from the experience at this stage in his career.

"I'm thankful for the tournament for giving me this opportunity," he said. "I'm going to need to learn as much as possible this week.

"On Monday I felt they were the Mizuno JPX-800 Irons quickest greens I've played on. I had an eight-foot putt and putted it off the front.

"You can't afford to do that - if you're above the hole you can't stop the ball.

"The course sets up for me well and I'm hitting the ball well, so there's no reason I can't perform.

"But as long as I leave this week with learning a little bit about where my game's at then that's maybe more important than performing."

Lewis's career trajectory so far shares some similarities with last week's Cadillac Championship winner Mizuno MX-1000 irons and fellow Englishman Justin Rose.

Like Lewis, Rose also rose to prominence with an impressive amateur showing at the Open Championship, finishing fourth in 1998 before turning professional the very next day.

Rose didn't immediately set the golfing world on fire, and in fact had to wait 21 tournaments before he even made a cut as a professional.

Lewis, however, only had to wait three months for his first win, although the going has been fairly slow ever since.

"The win came too quick for me in a way, but it meant good things because I was doing well. If I want to be as good as I possibly can discount golf clubs I am going to have to get used to that," he said.

"I'm kind of settling down now, getting more and more used to the way it's going to be and I wouldn't change the situation I'm in."

没有评论:

发表评论